This could turn out to be a habit. I’ve collected so much Christmas music over the years (around 7 GB worth!) from various places around the Internet, including many music sharing blogs, that I feel rather compelled to share some of my favorite finds with you.
Over an hour of holiday, well, cheer – I hope.
The list after the jump.
1. Ring Out the Bells for Christmas – Edison Concert Band
A 1907 recording.
2. I’ll Be Home for Christmas – Eddie Layton
Layton was best known for being the organist for the New York Yankees for nearly four decades.
3. Merry, Merry Christmas – Bob “Captain Kangaroo” Keeshan
I think I’m missing a couple of “Merrys” in there.
4. O Holy Night Cha Cha Cha – Brave Combo
5. Holiday Ring Mold – Katie’s Kitchen
This sounds weird. If you try to make it, let me know how it turns out.
6. Barnyard Christmas – Spike Jones and his City Slickers
With the Bell Sisters on vocals.
7. Crazy Christmas – Olivia Ruiz
Actually, a rather slow and relaxing tune.
8. Six Tons of Toys – Dave Dudley
The King of Trucking music, Dudley was given an honorary lifetime membership in the Teamster’s Union.
9. Jingle Bells, Batman Smells – Phil Snyder
Yep, somebody made a real record out of a silly kid’s tune.
10. O Little Town of Bethlehem – Sister Rosetta Tharpe
One of the many artists who laid the foundations for rock and roll.
11. Heavy Metal Christmas – Twisted Sister
Dee Snider and the gang have their own Christmas list.
12. Deck the Halls – Carolyn Jones (as Morticia Addams)
From Season 2, Episode 15.
13. Christmas Melodies – Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra
Another one from the days of 78 rpm records.
14. Flexible Flyer – Brian Dewan
You have to have one generic winter song…..
15. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, et al. – The Banjo Barons
Holiday favorites – on banjos!
16. Infant Holy, Infant Lowly – John Darnall & Susy Wills
17. White Christmas – The Queen of Kings Island
A Wurlitzer Duplex Orchestral Organ, Style #157.
18. Wassailing Song – Passamezzo
A quintet specializing in Elizabethan and Jacobean music.
19. La nuit des merveilles – ZOË
A new release from Zoë Straub, the chanteuse who represented Austria at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest. It’s in French, and the title translates as “The Night of Wonders”.
20. Pancho Claus – Eduardo “Lalo” Guerrero
The “Father of Chicano Music”, when he wasn’t parodying popular tunes, he was writing songs in support of Cesar Chavez and farm workers.
21. Christmas Conga – Cyndi Lauper
There’s a LOT more to her than “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”.
22. Even Squeaky Fromme Loves Christmas – The “Reverend” Glenn Armstrong
OK, who can tell me what Squeaky’s claim to fame is?
23. Merry Christmas – If That’s OK – Mike Nelson and “The Bots”
From the Satellite of Love!
24. We Wish You a Merry Christmas – United States Marine Band
25. The Night Before Christmas – Louis Armstrong